Thursday 18 February 2010

Stonehaven

So whilst my dad was up for a bit we went on a pretty good walk up around Glen Shee ways (unfortunately the cloud was stupidly low so we couldn’t see a thing and basically were tested on our navigational skills !) which was nice…went out to the Union on Saturday night….which was an experience….and then went on a stroll along Stonehaven beach on Sunday (my dad was pretty keen on seeing the highland fault with him having done a geology at uni etc.) But anyway there was some cool things along the beach which I thought would relate well to my project so I took some photo’s. Rust will always make me take pictures of it !

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         This thing was amazing ! I have no idea what it was but it is the epitome of what I find visually exciting ! Rust and random marks created through decay and weathering – beautiful ! There were parts of this object that looked as if someone had sat down and purposely painted it in that abstract way as the way in which the marks, patterns and colours were placed together was just so right !

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I plan to use these patterns found in rust some way in my project. I have already started thinking about recreating similar patterns on an etching plate using a random way of creating the marks (similar to the random way rust forms.) The patterns and shapes are intricate enough to be used just on their own however I think there is a lot of potential to use them as either a texture or background for some more detailed work to be displayed with.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Okay this doesn’t relate to my project that much as it’s not really a found object as such – it’s just rock ! However it is a found pattern I suppose and I’m up for letting that count just as much as a found object ! Some of the rock formations were crazy in this place. The formations in this rock face have obviously been caused by water – and again that random abstract effect that weathering causes is just so visually amazing to look at !

P2070106 The colours on this log were crazy ! The orange colour was so bright – I’m unsure what had caused the colour on this log but it looks like some sort of rust staining ? But again, just the colours and the patterns found on it I found really nice !

No comments: